Monday, November 22, 2010

A hymn to love (and good food)

I can't stop raving about Utada Hikaru's jazz rendition of Edith Piaf's Hymne à l'amour (Hymn to Love).

The song, used in a commercial campaign for a Japan-exclusive Pepsi drink, is part of Hikki's second greatest hits album that's set to be released on Wednesday.



Hikki's version, Hymne à l'amour (Ai no Anthem), had a sweet, lounge-y feel to it, just like Cav, a posh wine shop and cafe at Bonifacio High Street. I find it a good spot to listen to this French-Japanese song.


Situated on the side of The Spa building, Cav exudes an elegant ambiance complemented by fine European cuisine, and is ideal for dates and intimate gatherings.

My last meal there was superb, although I've yet to try the other items on Cav's menu. I'm particularly eyeing the foie gras (yes, I have a soft spot for fatty goose/duck liver) and the duck leg confit for my next visit. 

I started off with the salmon rillette, a smooth, heavily salted paste that's similar to pâté. It went well with the mildly sweet taste of rye crisps and greens.


My main course was the Kurobuta pork belly, which I found very tender, juicy and flavorful -- sinful, even. The meat rested on handmade tagliatelle (pasta shaped like long, flat ribbons) with garlic chips and wilted arugula.


For dessert, I had the fruit brochette (served on a skewer), which was nothing special. Good thing there's the guyabano (soursop) sorbet to cleanse my palate.


And of course, I had my refreshing apple cognac to thank for making my meal a more enjoyable experience.


Okay, back to the Hikki song!


CAV
Lot 5 Quadrant 8 Bonifacio High Street
Fort Bonifacio Global City
Philippines
For reservations, call (632) 856-1798